Sunday, January 26, 2014

Tasting Rex-Goliath's Malbec


Name: Rex-Goliath
Variety: Malbec
Region: Bottled in Madera, California
Country: Argentina
Year: 2013
Price: $8.99

Winery Review: “Our Malbec’s sweet spice intensity, lush texture, and silky finish is like dancing a seductive Tango – delightfully balanced with all the right moves.”

Personal Review: To be honest, my first impression of this wine was not an exciting one. The first smell revealed a very strong alcohol aroma that burned my nose! I continued swirling and warming up my glass, hoping that it would release more of the wines character. After trying two more times to get past the alcohol smell, I detected a slight cherry aroma and lots of black pepper. When it came time to taste this wine, I followed Dr. Boyer’s instructions of “chewing” the wine and sucking in air as well. This changed my experience of wine tasting immensely! The wine was very spicy and acidic on the first taste. After a few more sips, I realized that the wine was drying out my mouth and coating it with a thin film. The high acidity made my mouth feel hot as well.


I decided to try this wine with small pieces of apple smoked Gouda cheese, in anticipation of calming down the acidity and hotness of the wine. It really helped to tame it! The smoky flavors of the cheese and the spice of the wine went very well together. I began enjoying the wine much more after discovering this combination! I would definitely recommend eating some sort of smoked meat or fish with this wine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment