Saturday, February 1, 2014

Tasting Bodega Norton's Malbec


Name: Bodega Norton
Variety: Malbec
Region: Mendoza within the region of Cuyo
Country: Argentina
Year: 2013
Price: $10.99

Winery Review: “This Malbec is a round, smooth and full-flavored wine. It has a purplish-red color and spicy aromas. Balanced with smooth tannins, rich plums and cherries can be found in its delicate flavors. It is ideal to pair with grilled meat, chicken and pasta.”

Personal Review: This wine came recommended by the Gourmet Pantry wine tasting. I was excited to try another Malbec wine, as I’ve mentioned in my last post that this is one of my favorite varieties. My first impression of this wine was its rich, dark red and even purple color tones. It smelled slightly sweet at first and then a little spiciness of pepper afterwards. After a few more smells, I sensed a lot of cherry aromas. My first reaction after tasting it was how much of a drying effect it had on my cheeks. Next, I tasted plums and cherries! It was delicious! This Malbec was much less hot than the previous Rex Goliath I had tried, which was a nice change. It was also surprising to me how fairly inexpensive this wine was and still had such a great taste. Before this class, I had always been under the impression that the more expensive a bottle of wine was the better it would taste, but I am becoming more aware of how incorrect this assumption was! I think this would be a great wine to enjoy with a nice dinner of grilled steaks and vegetables. I think its spicy black pepper essence would pair well with the smoky, grilled flavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment