Sunday, April 13, 2014

Tasting: Casillero del Diablo Carmenere


Name: Casillero del Diablo
Variety: Carmenere
Region: Central Valley
Country: Chile
Year: 2012
Price: $9.99

Winery Review: “Chocolate, coffee and spice combine with raspberries and blackberries in this Carmenere, Chile’s very own grape. Perfect for tasty winter stews or grilled summer barbeques.”

Personal Review: This wine had a smoky, camp fire smell to it. It reminded me of the way a fire smells when it is only the hot coals left burning/smoking. It did smell high in alcohol, although not terrible like others I have smelled. This wine was definitely high in tannins, as it was a little too hot for my taste. It had a severe drying effect on my cheeks after I tasted it. Although it was interesting that this wine had a slight sweetness to it as well, making it taste unique. I drank this wine with a homemade pepperoni pizza with green peppers and onions. It would not be my first choice of a wine to pair with pizza, but it was drinkable.

No comments:

Post a Comment