Friday, April 4, 2014

Tasting: Weinert Carrascal


Name: Weinert Carrascal 
Variety: 40% Malbec, 35% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot
Region: Unknown
Country: Argentina
Year: 2008
Price: $13.95

Winery Review: “Aged for two years in cask, the 2009 Carrascal is a blend of 40% Malbec, 25% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 25% Merlot. It has a rustic blackberry, scorched earth and leather-scented bouquet with touches of pressed flowers. The palate is well balanced with crisp tannins, expressive black tarry fruit, and Bordeaux-like finish. Drink now-2016.”

Personal Review: The nose of this wine was interesting. It smelled like a spice box with too many spices and a lot of pepper. It smelled a little bit acidic, like lime juice. It reminded me of a leather saddle, which is one of my favorite smells from growing up riding horses, but not a smell I would want in a drink! It also had a dirt, mulch component to it. After tasting this wine, all I could decide was that it was bad! I did not like this wine at all. It tasted earthy, like mulch and grass. I am not interested in tasting this wine with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment