Sunday, March 23, 2014

Tasting a homemade blend

Name: Homemade Blend
Variety: 75% Old Vine Zinfandel & 25% Carrion blend
Region: Napa Valley, California
Country: USA
Year: 2012
Price: N/A

Winery Review: N/A

Personal Review: This wine was a blend made by a friend of my parents in 2012. The wine spent 6 months in oak barrels. It had a wicked alcohol smell to it. It smelled harsh and slightly like a dirt floor cellar, but in a good way. This made it smell earthy and kind of reminded me of mushrooms. The taste at first was very hot from the alcohol. Once I got past the alcohol taste, it was fairly peppery and creamy. It had a hint of chocolate to it and was a little bit jammy in its taste. I think this wine would be good with a little more time in the bottle to settle down the tannins and alcohol levels. I did not drink this wine with food, but I don’t think it would have changed the flavor much because of the overpowering taste of alcohol. 

No comments:

Post a Comment