Sunday, March 16, 2014

Tasting: Val Verde Winery's Don Luis Tawny Port


Name: Val Verde Winery's Don Luis Tawny Port
Variety: Lenoir and Zinfandel
Region: Val Verde Texas
Country: USA
Year: Unknown
Price: $30.00

Winery Review: “A unique blend of Lenoir and zinfandel, this special port has a buttery, nutty caramel flavor with hints of chocolate at the edges.  Also ideal after a nice meal, the Tawny Port is complemented by dark chocolate or cigar smoking.”

Personal Review: This was my first tasting of port wine. On the first smell, all I got was alcohol! At 18%, this wine had a much higher alcohol content than I am used to. After a few more sniffs, once I got past the alcohol smell, I could sense chocolate covered cherries. The consistency of this wine surprised me, reminding me of Nyquil cough syrup. This was hard to take because I really hate cough syrup and have always had a hard time choking it down! However, the port did taste good. It was very sweet, tasting like sweet cherries and having a jammy aftertaste. For how much it smelled like alcohol, I was also surprised that it did not taste hot at all. I did not have this wine with any food, but the next time I drink it I will definitely taste it with a piece of dark chocolate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment